Doing family history research in Japan can be very daunting. There are no easily accessible census records, like there are in the United States. You can often find the information that you are looking for, but there are certain steps that must be followed.
Five key questions:
- Where are my ancestors from?
- Where do I request the information from?
- What form do I use to request information?
- How do I read the Japanese information?
- How do I pay for the requested information?
This short video clip from one of Marty Wolf’s on-line classes on Japanese family history, he explains what kind of information can be found on a Koseki.